Wednesday, May 27, 2009

One Loooong Post

Warning! I have neglected my blog for way too long so this one entry will have to cover several weeks of stuff! I'm just gonna go through my pictures and outline the craziness.

First, here are Justin and Ryan playing Spring Soccer. This was Ryan's last season playing on this league so THANKS to all the coaches who have taught him the game! He started when he was only 4 and now he's a good player and wants to play soccer for the High School in a couple years. Justin is in red, Ryan is the giant in purple.



So, for Mother's Day, since Todd was in China, I told the boys that I wanted them to help me build some grow boxes for a garden. They were surprisingly helpful (especially Tyler) and in just a couple of hours we took this spot in our yard behind the garage



and with just a little cutting (Tyler used the circular saw) and drilling (Ryan did all the drilling and screwing)


and postioning (Tyler is good with a level)


and stirring up all the soil mix, compost, vermiculite, and peat,


and lots of shoveling (Justin worked hard at this)


we ended up with... three square grow boxes!



Then we went to Steak N Shake for dinner. Happy Mother's Day to me. I love being a mom and I have the best three boys. I am so blessed.


The next Saturday, Todd was home so he helped me add more soil and the grids on top and plant the seeds and strawberry plants. It looked like this:



We've already had a few berries and lots of the little plants have sprouted. I hope I can keep them alive! We used the Square Foot Gardening book so each small square has it's own crop. We planted corn, beans, peas, carrots, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, radishes, hot peppers, bell peppers, and lettuce. Mmmmm.

And my lilac bush bloomed! The flowers smelled sooo nice. It's just a little bush right now, but it will grow to be huge someday and the scent will fill the whole yard. Isn't it goregous!


And last week, Ryan graduated from Elementary School (6th grade)!! I can't believe this tall 12-year-old is my baby boy Ryan. He is a great kid. We are proud of him and how he's growing up. He loves his brothers and his friends. He's nervous and excited about going to middle school next year. He's already bored with summer and wants to have friends over every day and doesn't think he should have to do jobs on his vacation. Hmm. It's going to be a long summer.


Last week was also Tyler's 8th Grade Band Banquet. There were many awards given to the kids, some serious and some just for fun. Tyler was nominated for a couple but he got a certificate for Most Improved Player. He really likes playing the trumpet in the band and has lots of good friends there too. Yay Tyler!


Then it was 8th Grade Promotion! I cannot believe that Tyler is done with Middle School and off to High School! How did that happen?! Tyler is on the front row somewhere.


Can you tell how proud we are? We love this boy.


Then on Friday, Tyler took his Driver's Permit test and he PASSED! He can drive! He is sooo happy. He's been out driving twice and he's pretty good. He's very careful and he pays attention.


Saturday, Tyler left for a Scouting camp - National Youth Leadership Training. It is a pretty big deal and we're glad that he went, but I miss him so much! I hate not seeing him and talking to him! He only has 2 days left and I can't wait. We've had a little rain so I'm worried about him being wet and cold, but I know he'll be OK. I'm just selfish - I want him back!

We also had piano recitals and scout activites and tons of other things going on so we are now enjoying the first week of summer vacation. Ryan and Justin are reading, playing the Wii, having air soft battles, and starting to bug each other. We have lots of plans for the summer so check back with us and we'll show you all our adventures!

3 comments:

amyndodd said...

I love your grow boxes! I want some. TYLER is driving!!! AHHH. They are getting so big!!!

Leslie said...

Wait what?!? Tyler is Driving! That is awesome...must be some crazy Kansas thing. :)
Ryan has gotten so tall and Justin is getting so big too.

Love the grow boxes and the square idea too. Can't wait to see what comes out of them. Amazing.

Emily said...

Can't wait to see all of you in just 5 weeks! I want to eat stuff from your grow boxes, smell your lilacs, make Tyler drive me around, and have Justin and Ryan kick a soccer ball at me!