Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My New Hobby

Along with our gardening experiment this year, I've done some canning. We planted tomatoes and peppers thinking that we could make a ton of salsa, but they didn't ripen at the same time. So I made Spaghetti Sauce, Pizza Sauce and Salsa. And today I turned a gallon bag of jalapeno peppers into 8 half-pints of Jelly!



We also planted cucumbers - which we also don't like. But I do like pickles!



We also had a few cases of peaches that the boys sold for a scout fundraiser. Some of those got sliced and frozen in gallon bags. Some were frozen in pies. And some got canned as Spiced Peaches, Cinnamon Peach Jam, Peach Syrup, and Peach Butter. It's a lot of work and it's more expensive than just buying cans of food at the store, but I like doing it - and it tastes sooo good. It's a nice skill to have and I love how my storage room shelves are filling up with pretty jars of yummy things!


4 comments:

amyndodd said...

Man... you and mom got the canned bug this summer!!

Tammy said...

you are amazing. i have no desire to garden or can...i'm a molly mormon moron.

mrs. dph said...

The produce looks totally yummy and the labels are darling! Where did you find them? I guess I can just ask you when we walk in 2 days. . . . :)

Jennifer said...

Wow, those look great! I bet it all is so delicious! Our garden was a disappointment this year. Our weather was just rotten in late spring and early summer. Maybe next year we'll have better luck.