Yes. Camping!! Ryan is less than 3 weeks from turning 11 and will no longer be able to work on Cub Scout things so we are frantically trying to get the requirements finished for his Arrow of Light. (I want that pin, darn it!)
So we went camping on Friday night. It was very cold but that helped keep the bugs away. I spent all day packing and shopping and loading up the van. After the boys got home from school we went to their soccer practices and THEN drove out to Lake Shawnee. It was already late so we raced around starting a fire and setting up the tent. (Ryan was supposed to be doing both!) Tyler had made hobo dinners and even though it was pretty dark by the time we ate, the boys all said they liked that dinner better than any other camp food they'd ever had! Then we popped a Jiffy Pop popcorn - they had never seen that before - and of course, we toasted marshmallows and made S'mores. Yummy!
It was very cold and none of us slept very well. Everytime I rolled over & looked at Justin, he was looking back at me with his eyes wide open - we finally had him get in our bed to be warmer. I was between Todd and Justin - I hate being the jelly! - and we stayed frozen in one place until about 6am. When we did get up and dressed, Todd started another fire to get us warm and Ryan and I made breakfast. Then it began to RAIN!! After more scrambling to get the tent down and all the gear in the van before it all got wet, we got to eat Ryan's scrambled eggs, bacon & hashbrowns huddled under the hatchbackdoor of our van!
Saturday was also the first day of our boys' soccer games. We thought for sure they would be washed out - but no. We had to sit in the mist/rain/cold/wind for 3 games! My toes were frozen! When we finally got to go home, we still had to unload the van, clean up the gear, and wash everything that reeked of smoke.
Justin says he didn't think I had ever been camping before! He just doesn't remember. We really did have a great time. It was a lot of work and mess, but we had a happy night together - and hopefully got Ryan a little closer to that Arrow of Light award!!


3 comments:
wow! you are a good mom! it's so much work and mess and then you have to come home and work to clean the mess plus soccer practices and games...ugh. i hate camping. it looks like all of you had a good time though...good family memories. maybe i'd do it for that...maybe.
How funny you were the jelly!! I always said I didn't like to be the baloney!!! I meant that in more ways than one, but I don't think anyone every realized that.
That looks like lots of fun!! The boys looked like they really enjoyed it. Jake talks about you guy almost everyday. Asks how far Kansas is and yesterday he we saying something about Justin never does anything with us. We miss you guys!!!
Post a Comment