Thursday, September 13, 2007

What to write about......?

It's been a couple of weeks and I look at my own blog every day. It hasn't changed! I guess I'm the one who has to write new posts, but nothing really exciting has happened lately.

The boys are still going to school. Tyler and Justin started soccer practices and their 1st games are this Saturday. Todd is working very long hours and when he's not at work, he's doing bishopy things. The crunch at work should settle down in a couple of months. I'm still walking on the treadmill most days and then I do laundry and dishes and other housey stuff. And I'm still practicing the organ almost every day. I'm getting better, too! I wish we could sing the same songs every Sunday though, because it's hard to learn 3-4 new ones every week!

Todd went to China and came back. He has 2 more trips scheduled in the next 2 months and although I try to be cheerful and supportive, I'm not looking forward to him going. China is just so far away! It was really hard to contact Todd because of the time difference and he was always working. The boys were good for me, but we all missed Todd. It's just not fun to be the ones at home!

One night when Todd was gone, I was in my bed and the whole house was quiet, but I could hear voices. I thought it was the neighbors but it didn't stop. It wasn't them. I thought the TV or radio was on so I checked and they were off. I walked around my room and listened and listened, trying to pinpoint where the sounds were coming from. After 10 minutes, I still couldn't figure it out and it was starting to creep me out. I went back to my bed and realized that the noise was coming from my weather radio - which was completely turned off! I tried to change the channel and turned the volume way down but I could still hear it. So I unplugged the whole thing!

Then last week, I stayed up late and I could hear the wind pick up and then heavy rain. I couldn't sleep because I knew I had unplugged the weather radio! Then the tornado sirens went off! I got Todd and the boys up and we raced downstairs (except for Tyler, who stopped to change his clothes!). We watched the news and there was a huge thunderstorm right on top of us but the weather guy didn't say anything about a tornado! After a few minutes, he said he was hearing reports of the tornado sirens going off but he didn't know why! I guess someone in the weather service office got jumpy and hit the switch. It was a very stressful drill, but it was good practice for our family. We learned that it takes longer than you'd think to wake everybody up and get downstairs. And Tyler learned that it's ok to respond to a weather emergency in your pajamas!

By the way, Tyler has started a new blog for the boys. I put the link to it on my list. So far, he hasn't written much, but he was very excited to get it going.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Tornados are so scary to me...I was in one in Missouri as a kid and I'll never forget it.

It's hard to not have your husband home at night...I hated it when Ben worked grave yards.