Thursday, September 10, 2009

Our Labor Day Weekend



For the long weekend (and a late Todd's birthday), we took a trip to Nauvoo! The last time we went was 13 years ago - Tyler was not even 2 years old and I was 8 months pregnant with Ryan! Every summer we say "We should go back to Nauvoo. The boys need to see it." And then before we know it the summers are over and we let it go, thinking "We still need to take the boys to Nauvoo!" It's only about 5-6 hours away so I don't know why it's been so hard for us to go! And things have changed - the Temple there has been rebuilt, there's a new Family Living Center, and they have wagon rides around the old part of town.





Its a really beautiful place and the weather was perfect. There were gorgeous gardens around the Temple. I couldn't stop taking pictures of all the flowers! And since it was the "off season" we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.








Some of my Ashby ancestors lived in Nauvoo so learning about the city and the people at that time was really neat. At the Seventies Hall, we looked up Nathaniel Ashby and I got to sign a book of Descendants of the Seventies. Then the boys got to sign it too. I don't think they realized that this ancestor of mine who we had been talking about for days was their ancestor too, until they got to sign the book. We also found his house and his name on the list of pioneers who died before they got to Salt Lake.






We also went to Carthage Jail where Joseph & Hyrum Smith died. It was a special place for us. I hope the boys felt the spirit there too.
We drove back on Monday in plenty of time for the boys to get ready for school on Tuesday. I did lots of laundry and canned the last of my garden tomatoes - I made Pizza Sauce!
It was a really great three days together. I hope it will be a happy memory for the rest of the boys' life.

4 comments:

Bellonfamily said...

We are so jealous. We went to Nauvoo three times while we lived there and we talk about going back all the time! Thanks for sharing and reminding us again of the amazing spirit there.

Tammy said...

i would love to go back too! maybe someday...

Grandma's Blog said...

Glad you could make good memories! We loved it there. Dad would like to go back on a 6 month to 1 year mission.

Jennifer said...

What a fun weekend! Nauvoo is a very special place with a unique spirit. I'm sure the boys enjoyed it there and will remember the trip for a long time. I wish my kids remembered our trips there. Oh well! I guess we'll have to go back when they're a little bit older!