Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pioneer Woman Meets Alton Brown

I keep hearing how delicious homemade Macaroni & Cheese is and so I've tried a couple or seven recipes. Easy ones, hard ones, basic ones, fancy cheese ones... and none of there were that great. I think I really wanted a pumped up version of good ol' Kraft Mac & Cheese. So last week I was flipping through my Pioneer Woman Cooks book and found her Macaroni & Cheese recipe. I actually had everything to make it and I was feeling lucky. Or maybe I was just hungry enough to give it another try. And it was good! Still not sure it lives up to the hype of homemade, but it's the best of all the recipes I've tried.

But the story doesn't end there. During my searching for a great Macaroni & Cheese recipe, I found Alton Brown's Next Day Macaroni & Cheese Toast.It's leftover Mac & Cheese (which gets very solid when it's cold and it doesn't ever taste as good as the first time you serve it), sliced up, breaded, then FRIED! At first, it sounded gross and I didn't think I'd ever try it. But then I had PWs pretty good but not great leftovers. Whaaa-laahh! Ryan helped with the breading, the frying was fast, and the end result - hot, gooey, cheesy macaroni on the inside, hot, crispy, crunchiness on the outside. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Becky Clinton said...

I LOVE homemade mac & cheese. True comfort food. And even though it sounds like heart attack material, I think I may have to try it left over and deep fried.

Jennifer said...

I think I've been inspired to try a new recipe or two. Thanks Teresa!