Thursday, September 20, 2007

China's On My Mind!

Well, Todd is in China again. He just left yesterday, so I haven't gotten myself too worked up about it yet. He'll be back next Friday!

The boys' piano teacher loaned them a book about Chinese Horoscopes so we've looked up each of our birth years to see what it says about us. The Chinese use rotating lists of animals and elements to mark their years and predict a person's personality and character traits. It's kind of interesting!

Todd - 1968 - The Earth Monkey - "More interested in lending their mental dexterity to useful pursuits than to fun and games. They are interested in lifelong learning, taking evening classes and acquiring many qualifications." Hmmmmm. That does sound like Todd!

Teresa - 1971 - The Metal Dog - "Stern idealist. they are are serious and directed individuals, particularly when it comes to questions of morality and justice. Often devote themselves to worthy causes." Is this me? I'm not sure I would describe myself that way, but I guess I can see some of it.

Tyler - 1994 - The Wood Dog - "More fun loving and optimistic than other Dogs. They are open to life's experiences, willing to change their values and principles. Deeply empathetic, place fewer expectations on themselves." No. This doesn't fit Tyler at all! Especially the last part!

Ryan - 1996 - The Fire Rat - "Always on the go physically and mentally, finding it hard to slow down or even take a rest. More forthright and passionately ourspoken than other Rats and do not usually suffer from this sign's inclination toward stress and anxiety." Yes, Ryan is always on the go. And he doesn't get stressed easy. So maybe this is close.

Justin - 1999 - The Earth Hare - "Tend to be inflexible about ethics, values, and principles. They can be prudish and judgemental. They work hard for their cherished security and do not take risks." Other than saying that Justin doesn't work hard for anything, it is true that he's a little clear about what's right and wrong. He told a school friend who had said he didn't believe in God or the Bible, "Well, you're just going to be struck down and killed!" He must get his missionary confidence from Todd and his lack of tact from me.

So, obviously there's more to it, but the Chinese horoscope was only partly right about us. I wouldn't change any of our personalities though. Especially Todd and the boys - I couldn't ask for a better family!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Mike and I laughed out loud reading this one...hilarious! Especially Justin's! love you!